A new act went into effect on October 1st, 2021. This act is called The Lacey Act. It is relevant to our pallet company, Epallet, for a few various reasons.
This act was created and used to:
- Protect wildlife and plants; including wood
- It discourages and prevents illegal logging
- Aphis does NOT require U.S. importers to file a Lacey declaration for used, and recycled wood pallets
- It requires us to file a declaration for new wood products and lumber that enters the United States
- Some examples of these are empty pallets, crates, and lumber
- Any wood packing material that is not under loads carrying goods must be filed
- Wood products (crates, boxes, pallets, etc..) that are under loads, used for packing and structural support, or protecting another item does NOT require documentation
- New wood pallets entering the United States by itself must be claimed and declared
We have implemented this new act into our company and are proud to keep the environment safe. This protects foreign materials being imported, as well as wildlife and plants that are exposed to different dangers daily. If you want to read more about this, head over to the NWPCA website. They have uploaded a webinar that has taught our staff the importance of following this act and how it plays an important role in lumber production.
Share this Post